Are you a creative and brilliant communicator that enjoys taking words, pictures, videos, sticky back plastic and pipe cleaners and transforming them into fun and helpful resources?
Do you have a passion for making complex things simple?
Do you get the social web…. like REALLY get it?
If you are and if you do we could have your dream job…
About The Student Room Group
We exist to bring students together, to support one another through their education, have fun and achieve their potential.
We’re the UK’s #1 top performing online SME and we run a number of websites for students including www.thestudentroom.co.uk which with over 4.5 million unique visitors each month is the world’s largest student community.
Our main office is in Brighton but we also have digs near Tower Bridge London. We’re a dedicated and passionate team of about 30 people that love what we do and enjoying having fun along the way.
About the role
You’ll be part of the marketing team and will report into our Head of Student Marketing, Jack. You will be based in our Brighton office just off of the laines. Below is an outline of the role:
- Contribute to and roll out a content strategy that supports students at the key times between their GCSEs and graduation or equivalent.
- Live and breathe our brand guidelines and hone our in-house copy style to share our unique and fun personality.
- Curate the best user generated content from the forums and wiki, bring it to life and amplify the voice of students.
- Work with our community managers to grow our audience, increase registrations and fuel social engagement.
- Create original and engaging content that attracts students and keeps them coming back (writing copy, aggregating UGC, interactive features and video).
- Become our CMS master and produce easy to use, consistent and useful layouts.
- Lead maintenance of content on our site, ensuring it is of the highest quality and accuracy through rigorous editing, setting tone of voice and establishing best practice guidance for UGC.
- Ensure we have the information that students need as they navigate their studies and life – everything from exams, academic decisions, and finance through to love, hobbies and careers.
- Develop relationships with other organisations to form content partnerships where appropriate.
- Work closely with Marketing Team to form and implement a strategy for social media tools like Facebook, Twitter and blogs – in particular to influence sharing of TSR content.
- Conduct research to inform content strategy.
- Monitor audience using analytics to inform every editorial decision.
More about you
- You’ll have three or more years experience as an online editor or relevant experience, particularly from an online social background.
- You’ll have outstanding communication skills – especially to a 16 – 24yr old audience – and a thorough command of the English language.
- Experience of working across a variety of subjects and communicating with different audiences.
- Excellent writing skills with a good sense of what makes a compelling story.
- A strong understanding of online technologies (including tablets and mobile) and what is possible with today’s tools.
- Strong understanding of social media platforms, including blogs and forums.
- Intimate with CMS, usability and accessibility
- Good grasp of the fundamentals of SEO.
- Can use web analytics packages.
- Experience of working within a team and closely with other teams and agencies.
- Experience of using vbulletin or other forums (not essential).
- Experience of video production (not essential).
- A creative leader and storyteller with a passion for delivering fantastic content, headlines and for teasing out the voice of an incredibly active and diverse community.
- A University degree.
This is an exciting and creative position for an experienced content professional to showcase and stimulate one of the biggest youth communities in the world.
Applicants should send covering emails & CVs to Jack Wallington by May 11th 2012.
Find out more about why we work for The Student Room