In a site wide survey carried out March 2009 we asked 1144 students what the best and worst things about university open days were. The top answers are below:
- The best thing about attending university open days is the friendly atmosphere. The universities obviously want to make the visit as beneficial as possible.
- Being able to get a feel for the place. You can use the internet to look at halls/check the course out/see the departments, but you can only get a feel for the place by going there.
- Meeting new people and feeling more independent (I went to each open day alone)
- getting to talk to students and lecturers there
- Being alone and with people you don’t know!
- Probably the worst thing would be that the events do not give you much time to explore the university yourself
- Limited access to the full range of accommodation.
- Being nervous, and not really having enough time to find out everything you want to know, forgetting questions you want to ask
- Travelling – “Driving with the parents”
- It gets crowded and long queues.