The Student Room Group are looking for an DevOps Engineer to join our fantastic team based in the heart of Brighton.
The Student Room Group (TSR) is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Our community consists of 3.2M active members and is rapidly growing by 42,000 members a month. Each month and millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators, employers and consumer brands to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections. We handle ~5 Billion MySQL questions a month, 40M requests a day and are serving to 6M unique visitors a month.
What does a DevOps Engineer at TSR do?
Working within our platform team and reporting to the Head of IT, you will help us build and optimise our Private OpenStack Cloud.
We are currently working on several exciting projects, including:
- Dockerisation of all services, on development, staging and live servers
- Developing our CI and CD pipelines, making sure everything is monitored and secured
- Creating the CRON system for the whole stack
- Improving the micro-service benchmarking and capacity tracking
You will be responsible for the direction and decision making of the infrastructure and the technologies, including stability, scalability and performance of our products. Even though we are not yet at the scale of the likes of Google of Facebook, we do have exciting figures and will provide you with fun challenges as a DevOps Engineer.
Key role responsibilities
- Managing, maintaining and providing training and support for development tools, systems and TSR’s deployment processes
- Ensuring the systems are working as efficiently as possible and providing thought leadership on tools that could be used to improve and streamline processes
- Taking responsibility for the reliability, efficiency and performance of our services
- Reviewing and influencing the architecture, standards, and methods for operating services and systems
- Participating in platform performance analysis, software optimisation and tuning, service capacity planning and demand forecasting
- Developing effective professional relationships and working alongside our hosting partner to ensure the high level of service is maintained and business needs are met
- Thinking strategically around TSR’s set up, operations and delivering on our key KPI’s as defined by management
- Participating in out-of-hour support alongside our hosting partner as required
- Responsibility for IT Support which includes technical support for internal IT infrastructure and ensuring that internal network, telephony, desktop and servers are running efficiently at all times
This opportunity will suit someone who has
- Strong Experience working with Linux (we use Ubuntu)
- Experience working with automation tools such as Puppet, Ansible and Jenkins
- Good understanding of networking and systems architecture
- Experience working with Cloud Platforms (we run a Private OpenStack cluster)
- Advocate of the DevOps process and its benefits
- Self-motivated, driven and goal oriented with a high tempo customer orientated work ethic
- Ability to embrace and adapt to change
- Social confidence with the ability to connect and understand different types of people
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
- The ability to work under pressure and is calm and professional
- Language experience with PHP and Python (desirable not essential)
- IT Related degree or equivalent (desirable not essential)
Working at TSR
We really care about employee development, happiness, wellness and work life balance. We offer a welcoming, friendly and supportive working environment in the heart of Brighton, plus we enjoy lots of great benefits including-
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Your birthday day off
- Opportunities for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Pet friendly workplace
- Fresh fruit
- Friday afternoon drinks
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
TSR is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
Does the above role sound like the next step in your career? If so, we encourage you to apply by sending us your current CV and a cover letter. We would love to know more about you, your career aspirations and salary expectation. Send these documents to email@example.com and we will be sure to include you in our shortlisting processes.
To stay up to date on all of TSR’s vacancies then follow us on twitter and Facebook @TSRcareers, or find us on LinkedIn