The Student Room Group are looking for a HR & Operations Assistant to join our fantastic team based in the heart of Brighton.
The Student Room Group (TSR) is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators, employers and consumer brands to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections.
What does the HR & Operations Assistant at TSR do?
Working alongside our HR Manager, this role has responsibility for keeping everything that relates to our employees, and the experience they have working at TSR, running smoothly and successfully.
This role is an ideal opportunity for someone who is looking to take the next chapter in their HR career. Due to the broad range of duties involved, you will quickly see how your contribution will help to make a big difference across the entire organisation. There are lots of exciting new projects to get involved with as we are always keen to be the best we can possibly be. Project work includes streamlining and automating recruitment and onboarding processes, redesigning processes and helping develop policies.
In July 2018 we won the Brighton & Hove Business Award for “Employer of the Year”. We think it is important to offer a great working environment to every one of our employees, temporary staff and contractors who are all based in our central Brighton office. We are therefore looking for someone to join the team who wants to play a key part in helping us continue to do just that.
Key role responsibilities
You will have full responsibility for managing TSR’s recruitment from advertising to job offers and will play a key part in shaping our future processes. You will advertise and promote vacancies, liaise with recruitment agencies, be the main point of contact for candidates, keep records up to date and accurate and will organise and attend first stage interviews. You will also manage and support candidates through psychometric assessments and provide feedback verbally and in writing to unsuccessful candidates.
By being really organised, you will set up offer letters, contracts, references and all other new starter documentation. Welcoming new starters and providing them with advice and support, you will get to know them and will organise and deliver new starter HR induction sessions. Building their tailored inductions plans and connecting them with an internal buddy will be important. Keeping track of probations and success in roles will also be key.
Payroll & reporting:
You will collate monthly payroll documents, information and help complete final checks. Support with our annual salary review and benchmarking project will be required. Occasionally ad-hoc reports and statistics will be needed for metrics such as headcount and employee turnover.
Manage HR administration tasks:
- Keep employee data up to date using the PeopleHR system
- Manage day-to-day employee queries
- Understand TSR’s benefit schemes including Scottish Widows pension scheme, private healthcare, life insurance, Ride to Work scheme, child care vouchers, flexible working etc.
- Process and renew DBS checks
- Book training courses and maintain training records
- Take responsibility for new and existing HR projects
- Understand and offer support on OKR’s using the 7Geese system
A smaller part of the role is providing admin support to Chief Operating Officer. This may include things like preparing management and board meeting documents, reporting, expenses and managing company mobile phones. You may also be asked to help with organising external and internal company events, including travel.
This opportunity will suit someone who has:
- Previous experience working in a similar HR role
- Basic employment law knowledge (as a minimum)
- Solid technical experience using online HR systems/databases, plus Microsoft packages
- CIPD level 3 or above would be highly advantageous
- A degree (or equivalent) is desirable, but not essential
We also need you to have:
- Confidence when communicating and building relationships at all levels of the organisation
- A practical, proactive, solution focussed approach
- A friendly, positive, “can do” attitude
- Excellent attention to detail
- Enthusiasm to help generate new ideas
- Excellent prioritisation and organisational skills
- High levels of integrity and confidentiality
- An interest in technology and digital
Working at TSR
We really care about employee development, happiness, wellness and work life balance. We offer a welcoming, friendly and supportive working environment in the heart of Brighton, plus we enjoy lots of great benefits including-
- A competitive salary
- Generous commission scheme based on team targets
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Your birthday day off
- Opportunities for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Pet friendly workplace
- Fresh fruit
- Friday afternoon drinks
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
Does the above role sound like the next step in your career? If so, we encourage you to apply by sending us your current CV and a cover letter. We would love to know more about you, your career aspirations and salary expectation. Send these documents to email@example.com and we will be sure to include you in our shortlisting processes.
To stay up to date on all of TSR’s vacancies then follow us on twitter and Facebook @TSRcareers, or find us on LinkedIn
TSR is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.