The Student Room are undertaking a significant technical change, we’re taking our existing application and redeveloping it into a micro-service architecture. Along with this we’re also rebuilding our entire infrastructure from the ground up, so it’s an exciting time to join us on this journey.
As a member of the SRE team, whilst reporting to the Head of IT, you will help us progress with this plan, we’ve already started the build on our own Private OpenStack Cloud and ready to kick off the next steps, including developing our CI and CD pipelines, making sure anything that moves (or might move) is monitored, security and image hardening, and the overall migration over to this new world, just to name a few.
You will be a key individual in the decisions and direction of the infrastructure and the technologies we will use and will drive our future, including the stability, scalability and performance of our products.
We’re not yet at the scale of the likes of Google or Facebook, but we do have some figures to be excited about and will give you some fun challenges as an SRE. We handle ~5 Billion MySQL questions a month, 40M Requests a day, serving to 6M unique visitors a month. We currently have 3.2M members, growing by 42,000 a month, who are having 420,000 discussions on our forums each month.
Key role responsibilities
- Manage, maintain and provide training and support for development tools, systems and TSR’s deployment processes. Ensure that they are working as efficiently as possible, providing thought leadership on tools that could be used to improve and streamline these processes.
- Take responsibility for the reliability, efficiency and performance of our services.
- Review and influence architecture, standards, and methods for operating services and systems.
- Participate in platform performance analysis, software optimisation and tuning, service capacity planning and demand forecasting.
- Whilst developing effective professional relationships, work alongside our hosting partner to ensure the high level of service is maintained whilst ensuring the business needs are met.
- Thinking strategically around TSR’s set up and operations and delivering on our key KPI’s as defined by management.
- Participate in out-of-hour support alongside our hosting partner as required.
- The role will also involve some responsibility for IT Support, including technical support for the internal IT infrastructure plus ensuring that the internal network, telephony, desktop and servers are running efficiently at all times.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Strong Experience working with Linux (We use Ubuntu)
- Experience working with automation tools such as Puppet, Ansible, Jenkins, etc
- Understanding of networking and systems architecture
- Experience working with Cloud Platforms (We run a Private OpenStack cluster)
- Language experience with PHP and Python
- Advocate of the DevOps process and its benefits
- Self-motivated, driven and goal orientated with a high tempo, customer orientated work ethic
- Ability to embrace and adapt to change
- Socially confident with the ability to connect and understand different types of people, through excellent communication skills including written and oral
- Be a team player, who works is calm and professional when working under pressure
- IT Related degree or equivalent (desirable not essential)
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays and your birthday day off
- Annual company bonus scheme
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Childcare vouchers
- Ride to Work Scheme
Plus we have lots of other perks such as company away days, free fruit in the office and the chance to be based in our amazing central Brighton office!
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and will evolve with the ongoing needs of the company. You will be expected to perform other related duties as reasonably instructed.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter (including your salary expectation) and your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
For the most up to date details regarding all of TSR’s current vacancies please visit http://tsrmatters.com/find-out-about-us/join-the-team/ follow us on twitter- @TSRcareers, Facebook (TSR Careers) or find us on LinkedIn.