We’re Hiring – Data Engineer
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join The Student Room Group.
Who are we?
The Student Room Group is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we are uniquely privileged to connect educators and employers to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections.
What does the Data Engineer at The Student Room do?
Reporting to the Head of Infrastructure, and working within the Platform Team, you will be the lynchpin of our efforts to unify data from across the Further/Higher Education landscape and present a singular, well-structured view of various datasets that can be used by the wider business.
This is a new role in our team, where you will work closely with Data Analysts and Developers in order to understand the data and build efficient ETL/ELT pipelines between our various data sources.
Our platform is built on AWS and you’ll be making use of a variety of AWS services including Redshift, S3, Glue, Athena, Kinesis, Lambba, Comprehend, Forecast and more. Certification training is also available.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ownership of our ETL and ELT pipelines and processes
- Design and implement solutions based on industry best-practice
- Work collaboratively with the technical teams and wider business to ensure data is available in the right place at the right time in the right format
- Create and maintain clear and accurate documentation
Skills and experience we are looking for:
- Python development experience
- Consuming APIs – including robust error handling
- Working with CSV and JSON data formats
- Advanced working SQL knowledge
- Experience working with modern relational databases (ideally MySQL)
- Indexing and query optimisation
- Experience creating ETL/ELT pipelines
- Strong numerical comprehension and problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge of Linux – you should be comfortable using the Linux command-line
- The ability to explain technical topics to non-technical people in a relatable manner.
- A positive, can-do attitude.
- Genuine desire and enjoyment in working collaboratively with the team on technical projects.
It would also be great, but not essential if you have experience/knowledge of:
- Data lakes / data warehousing
- AWS S3
- AWS RedShift
- AWS Glue
- Google BigQuery
- Jupyter Notebooks
We also use the following tools, so if you have experience of them, we would also love to hear about it:
- Google Analytics
Working at The Student Room
We care about employee development, happiness, wellness and work life balance. We offer a welcoming, friendly and supportive working environment, plus we enjoy lots of great benefits including:
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays and your birthday day off
- Opportunities for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
Salary: c £40 – £50k per annum, dependent on experience. 37.5 hours per week
This role includes the option of remote working on a full or part time basis. Our office is based in central Brighton where we would love to see you in person at team, company and workshop events for around 4 days, every three months.
How to Apply
To apply for this position to join the team, please send a cover letter (including your salary expectation) and your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
For the most up to date details regarding all of TSR’s current vacancies please visit http://tsrmatters.com/find-out-about-us/join-the-team/ follow us on twitter and Facebook @TSRcareers, or find us on LinkedIn.
TSR is dedicated to creating an inclusive working environment that encompasses diversity and equal opportunities. We are committed to supporting a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills .