We’re Hiring – Full-Stack Engineer (mid-level)
We are looking for a Full-Stack Engineer to join The Student Room Group.
Who are we?
The Student Room Group is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we are uniquely privileged to connect educators and employers to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections.
We are driving a student first mentality. This enables us to build products that students need where we can apply our USP. A combination of innovative backend and efficient front-end developments are key to the customer value of our products.
Within our department, we pride ourselves on staying true to a set of core values which define the work we produce. These values include:
- Putting our users first, to build great products that help them and listen to their feedback at all stages of product development.
- Striving for high accessibility standards for our products.
- Being conscious of our users’ privacy and ensuring their online safety at all times.
- Being innovative and always trying to improve industry standards.
What does a Full-Stack Engineer at The Student Room do?
Reporting to the Engineering Team Lead, you will form part of one of our internal, cross-functional SCRUM teams. These SCRUM teams are responsible for our two flagship products – The Student Room and TheUniGuide – actively developing and maintaining these products to ensure we offer brilliant value to our users and provide sustainable revenue streams for the business.
Day to day responsibilities / tasks will include:
- Writing high quality code, in a test driven environment using any combination of our technologies:
- PHP (Laravel), Ruby (Rails)
- Contribute to the scope, technical design, development, and delivery of new and existing projects.
- Looking for opportunities to improve and modernise the existing technology stack, whilst keeping projects moving and reducing technical debt.
- Communicate clearly and concisely both inside the SCRUM team and out to the wider business.
- Support business teams through 1st line support triage.
- Work closely with our DevOps team to ensure high availability and uptime of our products and be open to supporting on call.
This opportunity will suit someone who has / is:
- Proficient in PHP, Ruby or other relevant backend languages.
- Familiar with designing efficient SQL queries and schemas with any popular database such as MySQL, Postgres, etc.
- A genuine enthusiasm for working with new technology.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Desire to work in a collaborative environment.
- Excited by a fast-paced, ever changing environment.
In addition to the above, the below experience(s) would be nice to have, but is not essential:
- CI/CD tools such as GitHub actions, Jenkins, etc.
- AWS, Docker and other relevant DevOps experience.
- Micro-service architecture / RESTful API’s.
- Working with high traffic websites.
Working at The Student Room
We care about employee development, happiness, wellness and work life balance. We offer a welcoming, friendly and supportive working environment, plus we enjoy lots of great benefits including:
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays and your birthday day off
- Dedicated training budget for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
Moving forward, the role includes the possibility / option of remote working on either a temporary, permanent or mixed basis.
Salary: c. £40k per annum
How to Apply
To apply for this position please email email@example.com.
For the most up to date details regarding all of TSR’s current vacancies please visit http://tsrmatters.com/find-out-about-us/join-the-team/ follow us on twitter and Facebook @TSRcareers, or find us on LinkedIn.
TSR is dedicated to creating an inclusive working environment that encompasses diversity and equal opportunities. We are committed to supporting a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills .