We’re Hiring – Full-Stack Engineer
We are looking for a Full-Stack Engineer to join The Student Room Group.
Who are we?
The Student Room Group is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community in the UK. For 20 years, millions of students have turned to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. That means we’re also uniquely privileged to connect universities and employers to young people.
We run The Student Room and TheUniGuide websites, and are in an exciting period of rebirth, completely overhauling our technology platform and the user experience we provide to students.
If you would like to help us make the transition to great modern technologies, and enjoy working in a modern empowered product management team, then The Student Room could be the right next move for you.
Our standards are high, are people are passionate, and we all care deeply about great student outcomes as well as working to the highest standards, in cross-functional, supportive and autonomous teams.
What does a Full-Stack Engineer at TSR do?
You will work in one of our cross-functional product teams alongside other Engineers, QA, DevOps, Product Designers and Product Managers.
We follow modern agile processes, working in two-week sprints with all the ceremonies you would expect in an empowered product team. Your line manager will be the Technical Lead in your Product Team.
You will most likely work remotely, but are welcome in our Brighton office too. Some members of our team find a hybrid approach works best for them.
Day to day responsibilities:
- Focused on impacting our student and client-centred Objectives and Key Results, you will be a core contributor to the scope, technical design, development, and delivery of the solutions which will achieve the highest impact outcomes.
- You will write and review high quality code, in a test-driven environment using any combination of our technologies:
- PHP (Laravel), to a lesser extent Ruby (Rails)
- You will look for opportunities to improve and modernise the existing technology stack, whilst keeping projects moving and reducing technical debt.
- You will proactively communicate clearly and concisely both inside the product team and out to the wider business.
- You will work closely with our DevOps team to ensure high availability and uptime of our products.
This opportunity will suit someone who has:
- 3+ years in a software engineering role within a company that builds its own software.
- Proficient in PHP – Ruby would be good too, but not essential
- Familiar with designing efficient SQL queries and schemas with any popular database such as MySQL, Postgres, etc.
- A genuine enthusiasm for working with new technology.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Desire to work in a collaborative environment.
- Excited by a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
In addition to the above, the below experience(s) would be nice to have, but is not essential:
- CI/CD tools such as GitHub actions, Jenkins, etc.
- AWS, Docker and other relevant DevOps experience.
- Micro-service architecture / RESTful API’s.
- Working with high traffic websites.
Working at The Student Room
We care about employee development, happiness, wellness, and work-life balance. We offer a welcoming, friendly, and supportive working environment, plus we enjoy lots of great benefits including:
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays and your birthday day off
- Dedicated training budget for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
Working hours: 37.5 hours per week, from Monday to Friday.
Salary: c. £40,000 – £45,000 per annum, depending on experience.
Hybrid working: we work remotely, or from our central Brighton office and consider full or part-time applicants.
To apply for this position to join the team, please send a cover letter (including your salary expectation) and your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
For the most up to date details regarding all of TSR’s current vacancies please visit http://tsrmatters.com/find-out-about-us/join-the-team or find us on LinkedIn.
The Student Room is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.