We’re Hiring: Product Designer – 6-month FTC (Maternity Cover)
We are looking for a Product Designer to join The Student Room on a 6-month fixed term contract (maternity cover).
Who are we?
The Student Room Group is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. That means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators and employers to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections.
We put users at the heart of everything we do, so we are always thinking of the best ways we can help solve problems and create opportunities for our student users and our university customers.
What will a Product Designer at The Student Room do?
If you are a Product Designer with a broad range of experience that can help shape the future of our digital products, we want to hear from you.
We’re seeking a creative individual to help us create a cohesive overall experience of The Student Room and The Uni Guide. You’ll be responsible for design artifacts that are produced, from discovery through to service design and detailed execution.
The Student Room has two multidisciplinary product development teams at the moment and the Product Designer role will be responsible for design working closely with the Senior Product Designer for one of the teams. We’re a small, tight-knit organisation so, you’ll also be expected to roll up your sleeves and get into the details.
Reporting to the Director of Product, you will work closely with the Senior Product Designer to ensure that product design and design system aligns with the longer-term business goals and product vision. You’ll work closely and collaboratively with product and engineering colleagues in an agile way to ensure the day-to-day product development is consistently high quality. You will fit right in it you can be a key voice of the user within product design and be responsible for the creation of polished, accessible, and easy-to-use products taking into account user and client feedback as well as data insights and market analysis.
If you have experience working on digital platforms through design and want to help us raise the bar at TSR then we’d love to work with you!
Skills & Experience
- Experienced in design for great digital products.
- Experience in understanding users deeply to get to the heart of the underlying problems the team is striving to solve.
- Experienced with design tools – Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Sketch etc.
- Experience of the end-to-end design process, from problem definition and user research, to low/high-fidelity prototyping and polished visual/interaction design.
- Ability to create prototypes to help rapidly test assumptions for new product ideas
- Experience of working with user research of various kinds, and how it informs the product development process both qualitative and quantitative, e.g. setting up and evaluating surveys and interviews.
- A passion for user experience and digital design and up to date with the latest and emerging industry trends.
- Understanding of prevalent design patterns particularly on mobile.
- Understanding of inclusive design and accessibility.
- Demonstrable experience of working in a cross-functional team alongside product, engineering, and business ambassadors to define problems and iteratively explore/ship solutions.
- Facilitate design thinking and practice across the product team, increasing the visibility and impact of design through writing, speaking, and workshops.
- Experience developing concepts, designs, and illustrations that can be utilised across a range of marketing materials including social, email, web and print.
- Experience of designing experiences for online communities and/or social media.
- Previous experience working on digital products aimed at young people.
- Degree or equivalent within Digital Design or similar.
This opportunity will suit someone who…
- Collaborates well with others in a team.
- Communicates clearly and with compassion.
- Explores and proposes fresh concepts and ideas quickly.
- Can adapt to the ever-changing internet usage trends among young people.
- Is solution driven and thinks outside the box.
- Is highly organised and is not afraid to push back if needed.
- Can generate quick concepts and realise ideas.
- Can adapt to a broad range of artistic styles.
- Understands internet use and common user experience practices.
- Enjoys keeping up to date with the ever-moving internet landscape and popular websites, with a focus on youth sites.
- Works well under pressure with strong attention to detail.
Working at The Student Room
We care about employee development, happiness, wellness, and work-life balance. We offer a welcoming, friendly, and supportive working environment, plus we enjoy lots of great benefits including:
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays and your birthday day off
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Cycle-to-work Scheme
Salary: Between £35k – £40k per annum, based on experience.
Contract type: This is a 6-month, Fixed Term Contract to cover Maternity leave.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 37.5 hours
Location: This role can be office-based in central Brighton, hybrid, or remote.
To apply for this position to join the team, please send a cover letter (including information on your salary expectation and desired work pattern) plus your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
For the most up to date details regarding all current vacancies please visit http://tsrmatters.com/find-out-about-us/join-the-team.
The Student Room is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.