We’re Hiring – Senior python developer (backend)
We are looking for a Senior Python Developer (Backend) to join TSR Labs, the newly created innovation hub within The Student Room Group.
We are looking for a Senior Python Developer to join TSR Labs, the newly created innovation hub within The Student Room Group.
Founded in 2001, The Student Room (TSR) is the UK’s largest, most useful and best-loved online student community. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs.
TSR Labs is continuing our quest by taking global-scale growth concepts to market, that deliver on our vision of ensuring that students get the best possible support in life.
We are now building the team to quickly develop and market the first of these – a transformative global platform that will help students and academic institutions take a radical new approach to improving student engagement and well being. A subject we are extremely passionate about.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in building a ground-breaking product that will deliver significant social benefit, using the very latest technologies. You will be amongst the first members of a new fast-growing team, working in a start-up environment.
We have quickly gained momentum, including from our Steering Group of six Deputy Vice Chancellors and Pro Vice Chancellors from a range of the UK’s leading universities.
We are piloting at increasing scale with our development partner universities this academic year whilst we prepare for full commercial piloting and launch.
You will work closely with the development team, and our Product Manager, whilst being inspired by feedback from pioneer clients and students.
You will work alongside our team of experienced Python and front-end developers.
What does success in 6 months look like?
- You will have fully understood the services and apps we have live.
- The platform will have evolved significantly based on the needs of our pilot clients and student feedback.
- You will start to establish processes and practices to make our code base much more robust and scalable.
- The team you work with will run as an efficient and highly productive unit.
- You will work in a supportive manner with other team members and provide them with the support and coaching for them to grow.
You will be passionate and driven, unafraid to try new things and learn fast. You will be a team player who knows that we can only be our best if we all support and challenge each other in equal measures. You will love questioning the status quo and be excited by the opportunity to quickly move mountains and help students globally.
You will also need the following experience:
- Extensive experience working with Python, with experience of Flask
- Deep understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS) i.e. ECS, Postgres/RDS Cloudfront
- SQL database experience
- Exposure to designing enterprise grade applications
- Most likely minimum degree-level education in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or a similar relevant area
- The ability to provide technical leadership
Working at The Student Room
- Competitive salary
- Generous approach to holidays
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work Scheme
The Student Room is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter (including your salary expectation) and your current CV to email@example.com.