We’re Hiring – Senior Search developer
We are looking for a Senior Search Developer to join our fantastic team based in the heart of Brighton.
Who are we?
The Student Room Group (TSR) is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Our community consists of 3.2M active members and is rapidly growing by 42,000 members a month. Each month millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators, employers and consumer brands to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections. We handle ~5 Billion MySQL questions a month, 40M requests a day and are serving to 6M unique visitors a month.
What you’ll do
The Student Room’s sites have high traffic, with over a million page views a day. They are built on LAMP technologies, other languages, tools and frameworks including ElasticSearch, Solr, PHP, Memcached, Redis, JQuery, Laravel, vBulletin, Magento, Resque, New Relic, NginX, OpenStack, React JS and native, Varnish, GSA and Ansible.
We are currently working on several strategic projects that will engage our users for longer and help us utilise the data we have more effectively for users and customers.
This is a new role at TSR and the focus will be to look at how search technology can drive growth in our business. The role will include updates to what we have, implementing new features and building our data to drive our strategic aims. We want someone with a full stack development experience that can provide support to our scrum teams and build knowledge of all our key systems, which will help to identify further opportunities.
Key role responsibilities
Working with the rest of our scrum team you will:
- Help scope, technically design, develop and deliver on new development projects.
- Provide support on search related projects and identify the ways in which we can use search technology to improve the projects we deliver.
- Provide the optimisations and fine-tuning required to enable 7 million unique visitors make half a million posts each month.
- Maintain & improve the existing codebase and provide great technical insight and documentation.
- Mentor or share your knowledge with members of the development team and be a champion for quality assurance. This will be done both one-to-one, on projects or through regular team knowledge share sessions.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and suggest how different technology might be used to improve our offering.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and will evolve with the ongoing needs of the company.
This will suit someone who has:
We are looking for a developer who has some of the knowledge and skills below:
- Comprehensive commercial experience with search technologies, including ElasticSearch
- Strong commercial programming experience in PHP on a Linux environment
- Knowledge of object-oriented design patterns and methods.
- Experience of MySQL and/or Maria DB database design, complex query generation, and optimisation.
- Has worked in an Agile development environment.
- Experience using GIT version control and Jira for task management.
- A Computer Science degree or equivalent qualification.
- Experience managing and maintaining a production Linux environment, with knowledge or the technologies such as Varnish, Pound, Memcached, Redis, Solr, Apache
- Knowledge of Docker, Ansible and/or AWS
- Self-motivated to learn and improve
Working at The Student Room
We really care about employee development, happiness, wellness and work life balance. We offer a welcoming, friendly and supportive working environment in the heart of Brighton, plus we enjoy lots of great benefits including:
- A competitive salary
- Generous commission scheme based on team targets
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Your birthday day off
- Opportunities for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Pet friendly workplace
- Fresh fruit
- Friday afternoon drinks
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
We encourage you to apply by sending us your current CV and a cover letter. We would love to know more about you, your career aspirations and salary expectation. Send these documents to email@example.com and we will be sure to include you in our shortlisting processes.
The Student Room is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.