We’re Hiring – Junior Data Analyst
We are looking for a Junior Data Analyst to join our fantastic team based in the heart of Brighton.
Who are we?
Founded in 2001, The Student Room (TSR) is the UK’s largest, most useful and best-loved online student community. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators, employers and consumer brands to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections.
What does the Junior Data Analyst at TSR do?
We are looking for a (Junior) Data Analyst to support our data team as we adapt, evolve and develop our data science and analytics function at The Student Room Group.
Reporting to the Senior Data Analyst, working within the TSR production team, this role is responsible for assisting in extracting, analysing and interpreting data efficiently and with clear actionable outcomes. You will also be interested and committed to understanding web user behaviour and identifying irregular patterns.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a highly impactful operational team helping to drive the core company strategy forward. Alongside the rest of the team, you will draw on your data skills to work with large and varied data sets, supporting all company functions and our commercial clients,producing actionable insights to unlock the value in our data.
Key role responsibilities:
- Maintain critical company reports
- Review the accuracy of all reports produced by the Data team
- Investigate issues raised following analysis of reports data, website performance and website user behaviour
- Work with appropriate data sets as needed to respond to particular business problems
- Prepare clear, succinct written and oral summaries, tables, charts, reports, or presentations for review
- Learn or expand knowledge of SQL queries
- Learn or expand knowledge of PowerBI report creation
- Maintain data sets, and data collection routes to ensure they are accurate and up to date
- Maintain audience segments to improve accuracy
- Maintain documentation for analysis, SQL and reports produced
- Support the Data Protection Officer with data subject requests, such as access and deletion requests
- Support the Senior Data Analyst with other project work as required
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and will evolve with the ongoing needs of the company. You will be expected to perform other related duties as reasonably instructed.
This opportunity will suit someone who has:
- Must have
- Excellent communication skills including written and oral
- Have a strong numerical capability
- Degree in a mathematical discipline, such as mathematics, statistics or computer science, or workplace experience in a similar role
- Strong Excel skills are needed with a familiarity with creating pivot tables, advanced forumlae eg. VLOOKUP
- Ability to analyse and model data, identify patterns and flag potential issues
- Able to deal with evolving demands and tight deadlines
- Self-motivated, driven and goal orientated with a high tempo work ethic
- Ability to work under own initiative or as part of a team
- Interpreting stakeholder requirements and translating them into actionable tasks
- Great problem solving skills, taking a logical and methodical approach to work and showing high attention to detail
- Knowledge of using SQL to query databases
- Experience with Power BI or similar data visualisation application
- Using ODBC connections and VBA in Excel
- Google Analytics experience
- Knowledge of data protection laws
- Experience of working with a range of stakeholders at different levels of seniority
- Knowledge of the UK education system, including A-levels, BTECs, the university application system and student life
Working at The Student Room
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Your birthday day off
- Opportunities for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Pet friendly workplace
- Fresh fruit
- Friday afternoon drinks
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
The Student Room is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
To apply for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org , include a cover letter (along with your salary expectations) and your current CV.
To stay up to date on all of The Student Room’s vacancies then follow us on Twitter and Facebook @TSRcareers, or find us on LinkedIn.