We’re Hiring – Lead Python Developer
We are looking for a Lead Python Developer to join The Student Room Group.
Who we are?
We are looking for a Lead Python Developer to join TSR’s Enlitened team, the newly created fast-growth business within The Student Room Group.
Founded in 2001, The Student Room (TSR) is the UK’s largest, most useful and best-loved online student community. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs.
Enlitened delivers continuous improvement to both universities and university students to further deliver on our vision of ensuring that students get the best possible support in life.
Enlitened is a transformative global platform that will help students and academic institutions take a radical new approach to improving student engagement and wellbeing. A subject we are extremely passionate about.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in building a ground-breaking product that will deliver significant social benefit, using the very latest technologies. You will be amongst the first members of a new fast-growing team, working in a start-up environment.
We have quickly gained momentum and following a very successful pilot will be going live with thousands of students across 5 institutions in August.
We’re a well-resourced team of people who all care deeply about the problem we’re trying to solve. We believe work should be exciting, challenging and meaningful in equal measure. Being a part of our growing team will give you the opportunity to shape our mission and culture as we grow. We’re looking for exceptional people who want to make students’ lives better.
What does a Lead Python Developer at Enlitened do?
You will work closely with the Technical Lead to help run an effective and motivated backend development team.
You will provide line management to a small team of backend developers, offering support and guidance day to day, as well as through regular one-to-one catch-ups.
By working closely with the entire development team (frontend and backend) your main duties will include the maintenance and ongoing development of the Enlitened product.
You will be expected to show a keen interest in the Enlitened product, to enable you to see the potential impact of any given development change.
What does success in 6 months look like?
- You will have fully understood the services and apps we have live.
- The platform will have evolved significantly based on the needs of our pilot clients and student feedback.
- You will start to establish processes and practices to make our code base much more robust and scalable.
- The team you work with will run as an efficient and highly productive unit.
- You will have built a brilliant rapport with the backend development team, enabling open two-way conversations between them and yourself.
- You will work in a supportive manner with other team members and provide them with the support and coaching for them to grow.
This opportunity will suit someone who has:
You will be passionate and driven, unafraid to try new things and learn fast. You will be a team player who knows that we can only be our best if we all support and challenge each other in equal measures. You will love questioning the status quo and be excited by the opportunity to quickly move mountains and help students globally.
You will also need the following experience:
- Exposure to designing enterprise grade applications
- Extensive experience working with Python, with experience of Flask
- Deep understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS) i.e. ECS, Postgres/RDS Cloudfront
- SQL database experience
- Most likely minimum degree-level education in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or a similar relevant area
- The ability to provide technical leadership
- Experience in leading a small team
Working at TSR – Benefits Include
- Competitive salary
- Generous approach to holidays
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Cycle to work Scheme
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and CV (including your salary expectation) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Strictly NO agencies.