We’re Hiring – Lead QA Analyst
We are looking for a Lead QA Analyst to join TSR Labs, the newly created innovation hub within The Student Room Group.
What you’ll do
We are looking for a Lead QA Analyst to take ownership of testing and QA for The Student Room Group’s highly innovative and completely new technology platform.
Founded in 2001, The Student Room (TSR) is the UK’s largest, most useful and best-loved online student community. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs.
We are now building the team to quickly develop and market a brand new transformative global software as a service platform that will help students and academic institutions take a radical new approach to improving student engagement and wellbeing. A subject we are extremely passionate about. This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in building a ground-breaking product that will deliver significant social benefit, using the very latest technologies. You will be amongst the first members of a new fast-growing team, working in a technology start-up environment.
We have quickly gained momentum, including from our Steering Group of six Deputy Vice Chancellors and Pro Vice Chancellors from a range of the UK’s leading universities.
We will be piloting at increasing scale with our development partner universities this academic year whilst we prepare for full commercial piloting and launch. Our ambition is huge. We’re looking for someone to help deliver the world class client relationships and experiences that will enable our new product to grow at an impressive rate, with great customer experiences. This role contributes centrally to The Student Room’s vision of ensuring that students get the best possible support in life.
Key role responsibilities
- You will be an integral member of our fast-moving agile development team.
- You will ensure we maintain the highest quality software delivery, ensuring our new platform is stable, fast and bug free for students and academic institutions. We have just started on our development journey, and you will now champion the creation and evolution of our QA processes, ensuring they are ‘right-sized’ as we scale.
- As well as carrying out functional and UI tests across desktop, tablet and smartphone, you will carry out DB and integration testing against our server applications and internal algorithms.
- You will be happy to do manual testing where needed, but constantly be looking to increase automation to drive efficiencies. We have implemented Continuous Improvement development processes, which are ready and waiting for your automated tests.
What does success in 6 months look like?
- You will have established robust ‘right-sized’ QA processes and applied them consistently to a rapidly iterating product.
- You will have led us on a journey to significant use of automated QA, well integrated into our CI tools.
- You will have ensured that we have earned a strong reputation for quality with pilot clients and students.
- The founding team you are a part of will run as an efficient and highly productive unit.
- You will work in a supportive, proactive and engaged manner with other team members.
- You will be a smart, experienced, self-starting and highly motivated individual who is comfortable in a fast-moving environment.
- You will be passionate and driven, unafraid to try new things and learn fast.
- You will enjoy working in teams and know that we can only be our best if we all support and challenge each other in equal measures.
- You will love questioning the status quo and be excited by the opportunity to quickly move mountains and help students globally.
- You will also need the following:
• Commercial QA experience delivering web and mobile applications
• Experience creating and maintaining automated tests i.e. Selenium or App.ium
• Comfortable reading and writing basic automated test scripts in SQL and application languages e.g. Python, PHP, JS
• Familiarity with continuous integration (CI) workflows
• Excellent communication skills, with a positive, professional and friendly manner
• Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines to meet deployment schedules
• Confidence to engage with members of the production team, the wider business teams and users proactively and effectively
• You will be likely to have an IT related degree, and/or ISTQB/ISEB or other testing qualifications
Working at The Student Room
- Competitive salary
- Generous approach to holidays
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work Scheme
The Student Room is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter (including your salary expectation) and your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.