We’re Hiring – Senior Django Python Developer
We are looking for two senior backend developers to join TSR Labs, the newly created innovation hub within The Student Room Group.
What you’ll do
Founded in 2001, The Student Room (TSR) is the UK’s largest, most useful and best-loved online student community. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs.
TSR Labs will continue our quest by taking global-scale growth concepts to market, that deliver on our vision of ensuring that students get the best possible support in life.
We are now building the team to quickly develop and market the first of these concepts – a global web application that will have a transformative impact on both students and academic institutions. More detailed product information will be available later in the recruitment process.
This is an exciting green-field opportunity to lead in building a ground-breaking product using the very latest technologies. You will be amongst the first members of a new fast-growing team, working in a start-up environment.
Key role responsibilities
This is an entrepreneurial role that will require foundational analytical thinking, intuitive understanding of client and student needs, and the ability to quickly build a world-class platform.
You will work closely with front-end developers, and our CEO/Product Manager, whilst being inspired by feedback from pioneer clients and students. In addition:
You will finalise the choice of technologies, design and build the architecture, and rapidly develop the back-end application in conjunction with the front-end developers and other members of the founding team.
What does success in 6 months look like?
- You will have successfully built the first version of the platform based on the initial product requirements.
- The platform will have evolved significantly based on the needs of our pilot clients and student feedback.
- The founding team you work with will run as an efficient and highly productive unit.
- You will work in a supportive manner with other team members and provide them with the support and coaching for them to grow.
You will be passionate and driven, unafraid to try new things and learn fast. You will be a team player who knows that we can only be our best if we all support and challenge each other in equal measures. You will love questioning the status quo and be excited by the opportunity to quickly move mountains and help students globally.
You will also need the following experience:
- Exposure to designing enterprise grade applications
- Extensive experience working with Django & Python
- Experience of working with Django REST framework
- Deep understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS) i.e. ECS, Postgres/RDS Cloudfront
- SQL database experience
- Good partner management and communication skills
- Most likely minimum degree-level education in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or a similar relevant area
- The ability to provide technical leadership
Working at The Student Room
- Competitive salary
- Generous approach to holidays
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work Scheme
The Student Room is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter (including your salary expectation) and your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.