We’re Hiring – Part-time PR Manager
We are looking for a PR Manager to join our fantastic team in the heart of Brighton on a flexible, part-time basis.
Who are we?
The Student Room Group (TSR) is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators, employers and consumer brands to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections.
What does a PR Manager at TSR do?
This role is responsible for building the brand profile of TSR amongst our student, B2B and influencer audiences. They are a keen story teller with a thirst for identifying news opportunities both proactively and reactively in line with the company strategy and the evolving media landscape. We are looking for somebody full of fresh ideas, who wants to take on our public relations plan and really drive it forward. The role reports to our chief marketing officer and is a flexible, part time opportunity (between 15 and 20 hours per week) which offers excellent work/life balance. This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced PR professional to continue building their career in an exciting, supportive environment.
Key role responsibilities include:
- Working with key stake holders across the business to identify a programme of opportunities creating an all-encompassing PR and Media strategy for the year
- Running the press office, responding effectively to media requests
- Managing the reputation of the business, developing and delivering an incident management plan
- Monitoring, measuring and analysing media coverage, tracking the performance of each campaign
- Using your natural understanding of how to write for a youth audience to create and edit content that fits with The Student Room’s defined tone of voice.
- Securing and conducting media appearances, profile pieces and interviews for colleagues
- Understanding social media, recommending and feeding into a master calendar of content
- Having an always on approach and an ability to continually identify and respond to reactive opportunities as well as creating them proactively
- Identifying and developing excellent relationships with key journalists, writers and bloggers, and be responsible for developing a strong PR database
- Co-ordinating and managing the relationship with external PR agency and ensuring that outsourced activity works efficiently and effectively
- Working with external institutions and other stakeholders to coordinate third party media activity
- Writing compelling copy and having the ability to get on the phone and pitch like a pro
- Establishing TSR as the ‘go-to’ source of information and comment for media
This opportunity will suit someone who has:
- Strong (in house) press office experience and a demonstrable record of delivering powerful campaigns and purpose filled PR
- The ability to proactively identify, understand and create great stories that will appeal to differing audiences
- Impeccable writing skills across a range of formats, methodical and meticulous with the day to day responsibilities of the role
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills – a black book of strong, established journalist relationships would be advantageous
- The ability to analyse and communicate research data
- A flexible attitude with the ability to shift plans and priorities at a moment’s notice
- The capability to manage and prioritise your own workload effectively
- The ability to keep calm under pressure and when working to tight deadlines
- Possess first class communication skills, the ability to think strategically and creatively and be a strong team player (but also happy to work alone)
Working at TSR
We really care about our employees’ development, happiness, wellness and work life balance. We offer a welcoming, friendly and supportive working environment in the heart of Brighton, plus we enjoy lots of great benefits including:
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Your birthday day off
- Opportunities for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Pet friendly workplace
- Fresh fruit
- Friday afternoon drinks
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
To apply for this position to join the team, please send a cover letter (including your salary expectation) and your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TSR is dedicated to creating an inclusive working environment that encompasses diversity and equal opportunities. We are committed to supporting a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.