We’re Hiring – UX & UI Designer
We are looking for a UX & UI Designer to join our fantastic Enlitened team based in the heart of Brighton.
We are looking for a UX and UI Designer to join the Enlitened team, a two-year old fast-growth business from The Student Room Group.
Enlitened has been founded to deliver continuous improvement to both universities and university students. This delivers on our vision of ensuring that students get the best possible support in life.
Enlitened is a transformative global platform that will help students and academic institutions take a radical new approach to improving student engagement and wellbeing. A subject we are extremely passionate about.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in building a ground-breaking product that will deliver significant social benefit, using the very latest technologies. You will be amongst the first members of a fast-growing and highly capable team, working in a start-up environment.
We have quickly gained momentum and following a very successful pilot are live with thousands of students across 4 institutions as of September 2019. Now more than ever, providing digital solutions to support students and staff at large is required by Higher Education.
We’re a well-resourced team of people who all care deeply about the problem we’re trying to solve. We believe work should be exciting, challenging and meaningful in equal measure. Being a part of our growing team will give you the opportunity to shape our mission and culture as we grow. We’re looking for exceptional people who want to make students’ lives better.
What does the UX and UI Designer at Enlitened do?
Working as a senior member of our product team, you will be responsible for leading on all aspects of design for Enlitened – ensuring we have world class product design for our student mobile app and data dashboard web application. You will also manage our digital designer to deliver beautifully executed marketing materials and brand creative.
Our development team is currently 6 Developers, as well as QA, Data Analysis, and 2 team members driving product management. We work closely with the Client Success team to deliver great value to the clients and care deeply about understanding the user by frequently visiting campus’ and having students in the office for user testing.
What does success in 6 months look like?
- You will develop a creative vision for our products and champion it, maintaining a high bar for what we ship to our users.
- You will have fully understood the services and apps we have live as well as the feature backlog.
- You’ll have a deep understanding of our product vision and will be excited about contributing to a meaningful mission. You will define and advocate the product direction with input from key stakeholders.
- You’ll develop a deep understanding of our users and how they interact with our apps by leading user testing sessions through remote testing, in our testing-lab in the office, as well as through visiting campus’ around the country. You will frequently liaise with our Product Managers, and the customer success. You’ll use this understanding to develop and test product hypotheses.
- You will develop and manage a backlog of UX and UI improvements to be made and feed this into our roadmap.
- You’ll manage our Digital Designer to producing great assets and campaigns and will also support in their development as a designer.
- You’ll own our design ops and UX research toolkit: currently Figma, UsabilityHub and Lookback.io
- You’ll manage the design backlog on Clubhouse and make sure that the developments in upcoming sprints have been well validated and that developers have the correct information and assets to be able to build quickly.
- You’ll make sure we drive momentum in development by regularly leading:
- design sessions with team members to pull together insight on desired functionality;
- testing sessions with users;
- implementation sessions with our development team.
- You will regularly review releases to ensure usability of the app is as expected, and any areas for improvement are quickly identified.
- You will be passionate and driven, unafraid to try new things and learn fast.
- You will be a team player who knows that we can only be our best if we all support and challenge each other in equal measures.
- You will love questioning the status quo and be excited by the opportunity to quickly move mountains and help students globally.
You will also need the following experience or outlook:
- A strong track record of designing and implementing high quality UX and UI designs across a range of mobile apps, websites, as well as digital marketing materials.
- You should have great experience of working with best-in-class design software and workflows. A fluency with visual and interaction design tools, including prototyping.
- Ability to develop a strong understanding of user needs.
- Experience of usability testing, A/B testing, and other testing methodologies are desirable.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines in an exciting and fast paced environment with minimal oversight. You’ll be excited by building a product design function and will bring an entrepreneurial approach to solving problems.
- Great communication skills, with a positive, professional and positive friendly manner.
- You’ll be an active self-learner and have a great understanding of UX and best practices. You’ll likely have a great list of blogs, books and conferences.
- Be solution-focused – make sense of a problem space by proposing and trying solutions. You’ll also prioritise learnings – ask the right questions and seek feedback when needed
- Degree (or equivalent) educated is desirable, but not essential.
Working at The Student Room
- Competitive salary
- Generous approach to holidays
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work Scheme