Resources from the Official Rep webinars
At the start of April 2020, we delivered free student engagement training for education providers. University forum posts have increased 45% in March 2020 (vs 2019) since Covid-19.
Watch the video recording and read the key takeaways from the webinars.
Watch the video: Official Rep webinars
In this video, Grace Joyce (Community Manager) gives you an insight into how Covid-19 is affecting student recruitment, including:
- Student sentiment tracking and behavioural analysis - we monitor and share key onsite trends so that you can respond to students' needs as they constantly evolve
- How to communicate with students - what to say, pitfalls to avoid, tone of voice, and when to reach out
- Ways we can support you in 2020 - including a free demonstration of UPP (the ultimate direct engagement tool)
"Should I panic firm a uni now?"
"How will my application be affected?"
"Should I take a gap year?"
Year 13 users on The Student Room
- Support students by understanding their needs
- 61% of students don't think their grades will be fair
- 15% of students are thinking of changing their university choice due to covid-19
- Most popular topics include: exam cancellations, universities going online, Coronavirus megathread
- What to say
- Students still need your guidance on the usual questions, like "which uni should I go to?", "what should I study?" and "which uni is best for X subject?"
- Share relevant, useful and engaging content
- Stick to facts and evidence
- Be human, empathetic, transparent, informative and professional
- You don't have to be serious all the time - if students are using humour, mirror their tone
- Report worrying content and signpost resources for support
- Use your The Student Room forums to connect with students
- Share regular updates and get involved in conversations
- Integrate the forum with your CRM to build your applicant pipeline
- Keep an eye on your applicant chat threads, (e.g. BCU) and encourage current students to answer applicants' questions
- Consider a guest lecture, like the University of Huddersfield
- Tips for engaging on our site
- Use your university name in thread titles
- Don't engage with conspiracies, debates or arguments
- Avoid being seen as an opportunist by using simple everyday language instead of marketing spiel
- Use your Official Reps to earn students' trust and share key information
Great examples of Official Reps helping students
University of Reading and Nottingham Trent University:
Liverpool Hope University:
*Sources: The Student Room onsite activity and polls. 15% of students considering changing their uni.
61% of students don't think their results will be fair - poll on The Student Room (1698 respondents)