We’re Hiring – DevOps Engineer
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to join The Student Room Group.
WHO ARE WE?
The Student Room Group (TSR) is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators, employers and consumer brands to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections .
WHAT DOES A Devops engineer DO AT TSR DO?
Working within our platform team and reporting to the Head of IT, you will help us build and optimise our Private OpenStack Cloud.
We are currently working on several exciting projects, including:
- Dockerisation of all services, on development, staging and live servers
- Developing our CI and CD pipelines, making sure everything is monitored and secured
- Creation of hybrid stack in AWS
- Improving the micro-service benchmarking and capacity tracking
You will be responsible for the direction and decision making of the infrastructure and the technologies, including stability, scalability and performance of our products. Even though we are not yet at the scale of the likes of Google of Facebook, we do have exciting figures and will provide you with fun challenges as a DevOps Engineer.
KEY ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Managing, maintaining and providing training and support for development tools, systems and TSR’s deployment processes
- Ensuring the systems are working as efficiently as possible and providing thought leadership on tools that could be used to improve and streamline processes
- Taking responsibility for the reliability, efficiency and performance of our services
- Reviewing and influencing the architecture, standards, and methods for operating services and systems
- Participating in platform performance analysis, software optimisation and tuning, service capacity planning and demand forecasting
- Developing effective professional relationships and working alongside our hosting partner to ensure the high level of service is maintained and business needs are met
- Thinking strategically around TSR’s set up, operations and delivering on our key KPI’s as defined by management
- Participating in out-of-hour support alongside our hosting partner as required
- Responsibility for IT Support which includes technical support for internal IT infrastructure and ensuring that internal network, telephony, desktop and servers are running efficiently at all times
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and will evolve with the ongoing needs of the company.
THIS WILL SUIT SOMEONE WHO HAS:
- Strong experience working with Linux (we use Ubuntu)
- Experience working with automation and CI tools such as Ansible, Terraform, Jenkins and/or Buildkite
- Good understanding of networking and systems architecture
- Experience working with Cloud Platforms (we run a Private OpenStack cluster and other services in AWS)
- Advocate of the DevOps process and its benefits
- Experience with Docker and containerorchestration (we use Kubernetes)
- Self-motivated, driven and goal oriented with a high tempo customer orientated work ethic
- Ability to embrace and adapt to change
- Social confidence with the ability to connect and understand different types of people
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
- The ability to work under pressure and is calm and professional
- Language experience with PHP and Python (desirable not essential)
- IT Related degree or equivalent (desirable not essential)
Working at The Student Room
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Your birthday day off
- Opportunities for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Pet friendly workplace
- Fresh fruit
- Friday afternoon drinks
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
The Student Room is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter (including your salary expectation) and your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.