We’re Hiring – HR Manager (fixed term contract)
We are looking for a HR Manager to cover a period of maternity leave in the heart of Brighton.
Who are we?
The Student Room Group (TSR) is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators, employers and consumer brands to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections.
What does the HR Manager at TSR do?
Reporting to the Managing Director, TSR’s HR Manager has responsibility for providing support and guidance to the TSR teams based in Brighton and Sheffield.
This role plays an instrumental part in maintaining and developing a successful working environment where employees can perform at their best. People experience is key, whether it’s a candidate looking to join the team or supporting existing employees on their ongoing development and career journey, we strive to provide the best experience for all.
This is a hands-on generalist role that has two direct line reports – a recruitment advisor and administrative assistant.
In July 2018 TSR won the Brighton & Hove Business Award for “Employer of the Year”. In November 2018 we were also finalists for the Sussex Business Awards “Employer of the Year”.
Key role responsibilities:
Management and key relationships:
- Build solid, trusting relationships with the management team
- Attend monthly management meetings as the HR representative
- Coach, support and provide legal guidance on HR best practice to managers for a range of situations
- Working with the recruitment advisor attract and engage high caliber candidates and on-board new starters
Learning & Development
- Oversee annual L&D budget allocation, advise management and ensure teams are receiving the right training. Give tailored advice to the management team
Payroll & benefits:
- Collate and check monthly payroll information and relating documents and spreadsheets including benefits and pension
Performance and attendance management:
- Provide performance improvement support and guidance
- Monitor attendance and address issues appropriately
Maternity, paternity, shared parental and flexible working:
- Advise and document on maternity and paternity arrangements
- Respond and manage flexible working requests
- Manage the leaver process including exit surveys, interviews and provide confirmation of final contract arrangements
- Oversee completion of critical employment activities including offer letters, contracts, PeopleHR system updates and DBS checks
This opportunity will suit someone who has:
- Previous generalist HR experience and solid track record from working in a similar environment (essential)
- CIPD level 5 or above (highly desirable)
- Experience of working closely with management teams and of line managing a small team
- Experience of processing payroll
- Great communication skills with the natural ability to empathise and build strong relationships with stakeholders across all levels
- Excellent attention to detail including high levels or accuracy and thoroughness to your work
- Clear understanding of what “good” looks like when it comes to recruitment, candidate experience and on-boarding
- An ambitious and positive “can do” attitude with enthusiasm to proactively generate new ideas, solutions and initiatives and put them into practice
- Technical experience of online HR systems/databases, OKR software, plus Microsoft packages
- Excellent prioritisation and organisational skills
- High levels of integrity and confidentiality
- An interest and understanding of technology and digital working environments
Working at TSR
We care about employee development, happiness, wellness and work life balance. We offer a welcoming, friendly and supportive working environment, plus we enjoy lots of great benefits including:
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays and your birthday day off
- Opportunities for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements – Full or part time applicants will be considered
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Pet friendly workplace
- Fresh fruit
- Friday afternoon drinks
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
To apply for this position to join the team, please send a cover letter (including your salary expectation) and your current CV to email@example.com
For the most up to date details regarding all of TSR’s current vacancies please visit http://tsrmatters.com/find-out-about-us/join-the-team/ follow us on twitter and Facebook @TSRcareers, or find us on LinkedIn.
TSR is dedicated to creating an inclusive working environment that encompasses diversity and equal opportunities. We are committed to supporting a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.