We’re Hiring – Senior developer (PHP)
We are looking for a Senior Developer (PHP) to join our fantastic team based in the heart of Brighton.
WHO ARE WE?
The Student Room Group (TSR) is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators, employers and consumer brands to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections .
What you’ll do
The Student Room’s sites have high-traffic, with over a million-page views a day. They are built on LAMP technologies, other languages, tools and frameworks including Laravel, vBulletin, NginX, OpenStack, React JS and native, Ansible, Memcached, Redis and Elasticsearch.
We are currently working on several projects, the main focus areas being:
- Deep engagement – looking at how we can keep people on the site for longer and improve their experience
- Big data – identifying what data we have, and could be gathering the right information to improve what we can offer to clients and student
We are looking for a Senior Developer (PHP) that can bring something extra to our team. Whether you are a front-end, mid-level or back-end specialist we are looking for the right person with skills that will help us to develop and grow. In return, we offer the opportunity to develop your career and expertise in a fun and supportive environment.
Key role responsibilities
Working with the rest of our scrum team you will be responsible for:
- Helping to scope, technically design, develop and deliver on new development projects
- Providing the optimisations and fine-tuning required to enable 7 million unique visitors make half a million posts each month
- Maintaining & improving the existing code base and providing great technical insight and documentation
- Mentoring or sharing your knowledge with members of the development team and you will be a champion for quality assurance. This will be done both one-to-one, on projects or through regular team knowledge share sessions.
- Keeping up-to-date with the latest technologies and suggesting how different technology might be used to improve our offering
This will suit someone who has:
- Comprehensive commercial programming experience in PHP on a Linux environment
- Knowledge of object-oriented design patterns and methods
- Experience of MySQL and/or Maria DB database design, complex query generation, and optimisation
- Knowledge of Docker, Ansible and/or AWS
- Self-motivated to learn and improve
- Good communication skills and is a team player
Other desirable skill sets include:
- Working in an Agile development environment
- Experience using GIT version control and Jira for task management
- Experience managing and maintaining a production Linux environment, with knowledge or the technologies such as Varnish, Pound, Memcached, Redis, Solr, Apache
- A Computer Science degree or equivalent qualification
Working at The Student Room
We really care about employee development, happiness, wellness and work life balance. We offer a welcoming, friendly and supportive working environment in the heart of Brighton, plus we enjoy lots of great benefits including:
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Your birthday day off
- Opportunities for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Pet friendly workplace
- Fresh fruit
- Friday afternoon drinks
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
The Student Room is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter (including your salary expectation) and your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.