We’re Hiring – Software Architect
We are looking for a Software Architect to join our fantastic team based in the heart of Brighton.
Who are we?
The Student Room Group (TSR) is the largest, most useful and best-loved online student community there is. Millions of students turn to us first for advice, info and support on work, learning and life’s ups and downs. And that means we’re uniquely privileged to connect educators, employers and consumer brands to switched-on young people actively seeking out answers and meaningful connections .
What does a Software Architect at TSR do?
Reporting to the Head of Production you will have full responsibility and oversight for software architecture and line management for the development team. We are looking for an experienced Software Architect to make intuitive high-level decisions for software development. You will see the “big picture” and create architectural approaches for software design and implementation which align and fuel the long-term product roadmap. When presenting solution proposals, you must show that you have considered several options, putting forward recommendations based on the three-year company strategy, experience within
the team and cost, guiding the development team to make technical decisions that support the business. You will have a hands-on approach and love to code with a strong and wide technical background and excellent IT skills. You will be experienced in designing and building software to develop a unified vision for software architecture and function.
This position requires line management for the development team where you will be expected to lead, inspire and coach the team to continually challenge themselves and progress at pace. An outward looking approach to complement our ideas and opinions within the team, where you are not too proud to learn from outside of the organisation on how best to overcome a challenge is important.
Key role responsibilities:
- Work with other IT professionals in the company in order to determine needs for new software, platforms and applications
- Utilize tools, technology and various methodologies to create functional and intuitive solutions for user interfaces of desired products
- Develop and implement product specifications
- Pay attention to system integration, sustainability and feasibility
- Manage all phases of technology development
- Oversee and supervise the work of the development team
- Guide and train developers and engineers
- Suggest and implement solutions for process improvement
- Adhere to all the requirements and guidelines for quality, security, extensibility etc.
- Develop the Data Engineering function and work with the Data team to build the required data architecture to support the business
- Ensure an effective execution of agile operations
- Provide technical leadership
- Lead the creation and maintenance of a technology roadmap aligned to company and product strategy
Management style and communications
- A collaborator
- Decisive, facilitating both short and long-term change
- Champion lean and agile development process
- Develop good working relationships with peers and leaders within the organisation.
- Ensure clear and frequent communication to the business and stakeholders
- Recruitment, operational management and performance management of the Development team.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external partners to compliment internal resources.
- Personal coaching and mentoring of the Development team, engaging other company employees, and external trainers as needed.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and will evolve with the ongoing needs of the company. You will be expected to perform other related duties as reasonably instructed.
This opportunity will suit someone who has:
- Experience as a Software Architect or similar role
- Good leadership skills with people management
- Experience with coding in various languages (PHP, Python, SQL)
- Outstanding knowledge of software and application design and architecture
- Deep understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS), Openstack, i.e. ECS, Postgres/RDS Cloudfront
- A technical mindset and analytical approach
- Great attention to detail
- The sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on the company’s success
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- You love to code and continuously learn.
- You actively stay ahead of new technologies.
- You are able to balance multiple priorities
- You have significant experience and knowledge working in product and technology teams
- You love working on creating processes that work smoothly for everyone involved
- You’re an inspirational leader, and coach
- You’re not afraid to say no to anyone at any level and you’re not afraid to make difficult decisions
- You take a customer first approach
- You’re not afraid to design a just-in-time architecture meeting the needs of the business and ensuring a strong ROI, avoiding pressure from the tech team to over-engineer
- You strive to get people excited and behind ideas, and have a proven record of training teams to communicate effectively with the whole business
Working at The Student Room
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Your birthday day off
- Opportunities for ongoing learning and development
- Flexible working hours and arrangements
- Group Life insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Pet friendly workplace
- Fresh fruit
- Friday afternoon drinks
- Regular social, team and charity fundraising events
The Student Room is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
To apply for this position, please email us at email@example.com , include a cover letter (along with your salary expectations) and your current CV.