Read the headlines, or listen to politicians, and you’d think that higher education is in a bad way. But speak to people actually in the sector, and the picture is different. And this is the picture that we’ll be showing the world in April, with the launch of Firsthand.
Created in partnership with SMRS, Firsthand will showcase life-changing stories from across the world of higher education. It’s aimed at everyone from potential students and their parents to people who work in the sector and those who influence it.
WE WANT YOU TO GET INVOLVED
The more universities that take part, the more powerful Firsthand will be. So we’re calling for Universities across the UK and around the world to get involved.
Stories are what we’re looking for. Inspirational ones. Personal ones. Ones about social mobility, global opportunity, groundbreaking research or lifelong friendships. Anything that shows the impact your university makes on people’s lives every day.
HOW TO TELL YOUR STORIES
Ideally, we’re looking for three stories from each University that takes part. If you have some you want to share:
MAKE THEM PERSONAL
We’re looking for people stories here, so focus on real (first hand) experiences rather than corporate achievements.
MAKE THEM ENGAGING
Firsthand will house video as well as stories with images, so use whatever method helps you tell your story the best.
MAKE THEM GO FURTHER
When Firsthand is up and running, we’d love it if you could support and signpost the campaign through your own channels.
WHEN DO WE NEED THEM BY?
April 9th – This is our deadline for the initial launch stories. After this, further stories can be added at any time.
April 26th – This is when the campaign goes live
WHAT TYPE OF CONTENT SHOULD YOU SUPPLY?
If you do have stories to share (and we hope you do) here’s what we’re looking for:
- If you’re sending a video – send a link to either YouTube or Vimeo, or an MP4 file that we can place on our own account if required.
- If you’re sending images – make sure they’re high-res and reasonably large. The campaign site won’t have set dimensions, so just make sure they’re of a decent quality.
- If you’re sending copy – we don’t have a particular word limit, but aim for between 150 to 300 words.
And whatever you send, send us your logo – for use on the Firsthand site.
WHAT KIND OF STORIES ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
As we said, anything that shows the positive and personal impact that Universities can make. This could relate to:
- Widening Participation
- Degree Apprenticeships
- PG and Mature learners
- The transition to University and personal development
- A Graduate reflecting on the experience
- A Research student changing the world
- Your wonderful staff
- Your local impact in terms of business incubation, enterprise parks or related local business success.
So, get gathering and help us show the world what higher education is all about – and all that it can achieve.
If you have any questions or want to know more about Firsthand then please get in touch with us – firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tony Lyons on 01273 646 323